Sights to see in Montmartre

Thursday, December 15, 2022

Adrienne Nguyen_La Maison Rose in Montmartre Paris France_Solo Travel Diary_Paris in Summer

Hello again from the city of love. For this week's post, I'm taking you to Montmartre which is in the 18th arrondissement of Paris. If you're a film fanatic, you may recall this location from Amélie or Moulin Rouge. Most tourists, myself included, visit the main attractions and postcard/Instagram worthy spots. However, there are numerous pockets of isolated areas that are equally charming. I love walkable cities because it gives me the opportunity to stop and go as I please. I wandered through so many different neighborhoods, found quirky cafes, a plethora of boulangeries and beyond. Words really cannot describe how magical this city is regardless of season. Watch the video below and continue reading to virtually travel to Montmartre with me!


adrienne nguyen_hotel beige_paris travel blog_dress vest_pinstripe dress_white eyelet skirt_j slides sneakers_casual sneaker outfit_marc jacobs crossbody, marc jacobs the snapshot

As soon as I landed, I headed to the mall but if you saw from my previous post, the rain started to pour. I returned to my hotel and decided to do a quick outfit change. 

Adrienne Nguyen_Hotel Beige in Paris 9th arrondissement_hotel salon lobby area_luxury hotels
Adrienne Nguyen_stairs in paris_hotel stairs_paris has a lot of stairs

I typically opt for stairs instead of escalators and elevators whenever I can so you can imagine how much my lifestyle aligns with the Parisian way of life. If you saw my pedometer readings after my time in Europe, you would be astonished!

Adrienne Nguyen_Sacre Coeur in Paris_Explore Paris_Sacred Heart Church in France_Churches in Paris_Tourist Attraction

As a girl, I've dreamed of visiting Paris, wandering the streets, eating lots of pastries, and visiting the most remarkable buildings and monuments scattered all over the city. For those who know me, I've been a student for as long as I can remember. I never had a free summer. I planned a big international trip after graduation but of course, the pandemic hit. As restrictions began to lift, I immediately started planning. I went to Europe right as the US lifted negative COVID re-entry requirements! 

First stop? The Sacré Cœur.

Adrienne Nguyen_The Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Paris_La Basilique du Sacré Cœur de Montmartre

I walked from my hotel to the Sacré Cœur and it was incredibly crowded leading up to the church. I initially planned to stay for just a few minutes... long enough to snap a few pictures at the base of the church. However, once I got there, curiosity got the best of me so I climbed to the top.

Adrienne Nguyen_The Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Paris_La Basilique du Sacré Cœur de Montmartre
Adrienne Nguyen_Paris France_Windmill Restaurant Hotel
Adrienne Nguyen_Paris France_Mint Vespa_Moped_Motorcycle
Adrienne Nguyen_La Maison Rose in Paris France_French Cafe_Famous Pink House in Paris_Famous Pink Cafe in Paris

If you walk towards the left of the Sacré Cœur (from the top of the church), you'll be greeted with another famous sighting, La Maison Rose. This adorable pink restaurant popped up numerous times on my Instagram feed that I just had to see it in person! There were too many people in the cafe but I had to snap a picture!

Adrienne Nguyen_Le Consulat_explore montmartre_paris

Another nearby famous spot? Le Consulat. This is a very tiny cafe on a cobblestone street. I honestly don't know how long you have to wait until you're able to sit down. I would suggest snapping a few pictures here and then going elsewhere since the density of people who pass this area is comparable to the Sacré Cœur and La Maison Rose.

Adrienne Nguyen_Solo Trip to Paris_Parisian Architecture and Buildings_Parisian Apartment
Adrienne Nguyen_Montmartre_Pink Mamma Restaurant_Italian Restaurants in Paris

Have you heard of, Pink Mamma? It's a highly instagrammable Italian restaurant that requires a reservation. Even finding a place for one is difficult on a busy day. This is the exterior of the building.

Adrienne Nguyen_EXplore Paris_Paris Blog_Top Places to Visit in paris
Adrienne Nguyen_Moulin Rouge in Paris_Montmartre Sights_Things to see in MontMartre

No trip to Paris and Montmartre is complete without visiting the Moulin Rouge. It's in a predominantly adult "friendly" area. However, you will see lots of families and children roaming around the street. There are some questionable characters so I would be vigilant. If you're traveling with kids, do watch out for them. I saw some things that were less than decent to say the least.

Adrienne Nguyen_Hotel Beige_9th arrondissement hotel

This is the exterior of Hôtel Beige. It looks like any other Parisian building! The decor is perfect as well!

Adrienne Nguyen_Hotel Beige Cafe_Hotel Beige in paris_9th arrondissement
Parisian Apartment_View from my Parisian Balcony_Eiffel Tower_Paris Blog_Adrienne Nguyen_Hotel Beige

One thing I realized towards the end of my first evening at the hotel was the fact that you can catch a glimpse of the Eiffel Tower. I went onto my balcony each night at 1AM to catch the tower sparkle one last time for the evening before the golden lights and beacon are shut off.

Adrienne nguyen_Cafe des deux moulins in montmartre paris france_18th arrondisssement of paris_amelie


I am currently listening to the Amélie soundtrack and I suppose you can say that I have been daydreaming. The music is as free-spirited as Amélie. I remember the first time I heard the music in AP French. I was enthralled by the orchestra to the point that I focused on the music more than the plot. Not to worry though, I watched this movie more than once! I've always been a bit of a francophile and just listening to the orchestra version of La Valse D'Amélie further enhanced my desire to travel to France. I remember sitting in class thinking of the day I would be able to visit Montmartre. Little did I know that my little daydream would become a reality and that I would be able to actually see Café des 2 Moulins in person! 


I recall writing this in one of my journals in high school, 

"I have a secret desire to visit Paris by myself... I really do wonder if it is as romantic and lovely as it was depicted in Amélie."

I cannot believe I was able to take a solo trip to Paris. As someone who fully immersed herself into the culture and life in Paris, regardless of how short it was, Paris was absolutely romantic. I don't mean that it's full of romance but the Parisian lifestyle is so idyllic. It has that je ne sais quoi attitude that's not only effortless but something I really think Americans need to adapt. Life is slower in Europe and residents actually enjoy savoring every moment no matter how simple.

If you're considering going to Paris alone, it is safe. Yes, there are certain areas that can get a bit chaotic and others that have scams left and right... but if you're cognizant of your surroundings, it'll be an adventure of a lifetime!

XO,
Adrienne

You Might Also Like

0 Comments